Back in January, a supporting pastor and good personal friend reached out to me about helping with Camp Rhino. Pastor Aaron Smith and the folks at Crossroads Baptist Church in Mobile, AL committed to giving $2500 to purchase property to help start Camp Rhino. Their plan was to take up a change offering from then until their missions conference in October with the purpose of giving that offering to Camp Rhino. The folks at Crossroads were actually the very first church to commit to helping with Camp Rhino raise $100,000.
This past Wednesday was the first day of their conference where they presented us with a not a $2500 check, but huge $2600 check. With their gift, we not only have over $87,000 with gifts and commitments, but now have over $87,000 in hand.
Please continue to pray as we get closer to our $100,000 mark.
- The sell of our house- When we left for the field the first time, we weren’t able to sell our house. With the improvements in the market, we are hoping to sell it and at least clear $30,000. Our plan is to use the money we clear toward the purchase of our camp property.
- Safety as we travel- This coming month we’ll be in Alabama, South Carolina, Georgia, Ohio, and Florida.
- Our oldest son Tyler- He will be staying back in the States for Bible College when we return to the field.
- Christmas offerings being designated for Camp Rhino- We are praying to meet and surpass our $100,000 by the end of December.
Quick Updates & Events:
- Volunteer visas for our children were approved. They are good through July 2019. Afterwards we hope to get a 5 year work visa which would allow us to one day obtain permanent residence.
- With the children’s visas in hand, we purchased our airline tickets for South Africa. We are booked to fly out January 10th.
- Our first children’s books that will promote missions principles and Camp Rhino will be shipped out on October 31st. Check them out and pre-order at CampRhino.org.
- Plan to attend the Our Generation Summit either at Lake Lanier Island Resort in Buford, Ga on December 28th-30th or in Boston, MA on January 4th-6th. For more information go to OGSummit.com
Through these past months on furlough, God has really taught us and grown our faith in an incredible way. When we started announcing our goal back in January to raise $100,000 to start Camp Rhino, to be honest, we were a little nervous. This is the first time we’ve personally tried to raise money like that. Month after month God, met or even surpassed our goals. From the first $5000 given to the last $1000 that came in last week, it’s been amazing to see.
Looking back and knowing the churches and individuals that have been involved is a bit overwhelming. God has placed us in the path of some incredible people that have been a great encouragement and help.
We now have over $87,000 towards the purchase of property to start our new camp. With around $13,000 to go, we’re not near as nervous as we were in January:). Thank you all again for your prayers and support.
Another $3000 came in within the last week and a half for Camp Rhino. The total is now over $85,000. I believe we will meet and beat our goal of $100,000. Thank you all for praying and giving. I want to say a special thanks to Oakland Heights Baptist Church in Cartersville, GA and Fellowship Baptist Church in East Ridge, TN with helping us pass the $85,000 mark.
Our team at Camp Rhino will be renting a facility to use in December to host our annual Christmas Camp. Please pray as churches are preparing now to bring their young people and recruit lost teens from their community. This should be our biggest camp week so far.
If you or your church would be interested in making a trip to South Africa sometime next year to help with Camp Rhino please let me know. We are hoping to have our first teen week July 2018, but need help before and after getting the Camp ready. We already have six groups schedule to visit us next year, but are looking for many more.